How to backup G Suite data to Wasabi cloud storage?
Wasabi is an AWS S3 compatible cloud storage service with more affordable pricing.
Note: Wasabi has a 90-day minimum storage retention policy, and it charges deleted files. What’s more, when a file was modified or overwritten in Wasabi, the original copy of this file will be treated as a deleted entry and will result in unexpected cost. CubeBackup employs SQLite files to keep the histories of the backup files, and these SQLite files are modified frequently during the backup process, which may result a large unexpected cost in Wasabi. Therefore, Amazon AWS S3 storage is recommended for CubeBackup. For more information about the cost of Amazon AWS S3 storage, please visit http://www.cubebackup.com/docs/faq/s3-pricing/
As an S3 compatible cloud storage, Wasabi’s UI is similar to Amazon AWS S3. First create a bucket and an Access key:
Create a Wasabi bucket
Log into Wasabi console.
Create a bucket On the Overview page, click CREATE BUCKET. In the dialog pop-up, enter a bucket name and select a region for the bucket, then click the CREATE BUCKET button.
Create an Access key On the Access Keys page, click +CREATE NEW ACCESS KEY. Once the access key is successfully created, a dialog will pop up, showing the created key and its Secret key.
Tip: Please keep the access key dialog open, or copy keys to clipboard. The Access key and its Secret key will be needed later in CubeBackup’s configuration.
Setup CubeBackup with a Wasabi cloud storage
After creating the bucket and the Access key, go back to CubeBackup setup wizard:
- Select “Amazon S3 compatible storage” for the Storage type.
- Select a local directory for the Data index path. Data index acts as cache for backup data, and a local SSD is strongly recommended for storing data index. For more information about the data index, please visit this document
In the Endpoint field, enter the appropriate request URL for your bucket:
- If the bucket was created in the us-east-1 region, use: s3.wasabisys.com
- If the bucket was created in the us-east-2 region, use: s3.us-east-2.wasabisys.com
- If the bucket was created in the us-west-1 region, use: s3.us-west-1.wasabisys.com
- If the bucket was created in the eu-central-1 region, use: s3.eu-central-1.wasabisys.com
Enter the name of the bucket you just created in the Bucket field.
Copy the Access key created in the Wasabi Console and paste it in the Access key ID textbox, theb copy the Secret key value and paste it into the Secret access key textbox.
If you want your backups to be encrypted, make sure the Encrypt backups option is checked.
Go through the rest of CubeBackup configuration
You can continue to complete CubeBackup’s configuration by following the configuration guide.