Types of accounts in CubeBackup for Microsoft 365
For small organizations, one CubeBackup administrator is usually enough. However, for large organizations, or for Microsoft 365 partners who manage backups for multiple clients, it may be helpful to enable multiple administrator accounts. Additionally, you may wish to allow individual users to view their own backups and restore files or messages themselves.
Types of accounts
There are 4 types of accounts in CubeBackup:
System Admin: Full control of CubeBackup.
Organization Admin: Administrative powers and permissions for specific organization(s).
Organization Operator: Backup & restore permissions for any Microsoft 365 users in specific organization(s).
OAuth login user: Backup & restore permissions for own data only.
|Operations||System administrator||Organization administrator||Organization operator||OAuth login user|
|View own backup data||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Restore own data||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|View own restore/export history||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|View backup data for any users in managed organization(s)||✔||✔||✔||✖|
|Restore data for any users in managed organization(s)||✔||✔||✔||✖|
|Restore data for one user to another user||✔||✔||✔||✖|
|View backup/restore/export history of managed organization(s)||✔||✔||✔||✖|
|View statistical data for managed organization(s)||✔||✔||✔||✖|
|Microsoft 365 organization specific settings (e.g. data retention policy, enable/disable backups for users, enable/disable backup of SharePoint sites)||✔||✔||✖||✖|
|Manually start the backup||✔||✔||✖||✖|
|System-wide settings (e.g. backup interval, network throttling, email reports)||✔||✖||✖||✖|
|Add or delete other administrative accounts||✔||✖||✖||✖|
|View audit log||✔||✖||✖||✖|
|Add new Microsoft 365 organizations to CubeBackup||✔||✖||✖||✖|
- Small organizations who have only one Microsoft 365 organization: 1 or 2 system administrators are enough. You can also enable Microsoft OAuth login for all end-users in your organization according to the data policy in your organization.
- Large organizations: 1 or 2 system administrator accounts, plus a few organization operators. We recommend that Microsoft OAuth login be turned on for all end-users in your organization.
- Microsoft 365 partners: 1 or 2 system administrator accounts. You can assign each Microsoft 365 organization a organization administrator so that your customers can manage their own backup data. You can also discuss with your clients whether to enable Microsoft OAuth login.
- Only system administrators can add more administrators/operators to CubeBackup.
- Administrators and operators are not the only accounts which can recover and export user data. End users can also be authorized to access their own backup data and even restore files and messages by themselves. If you'd like to enable self-service data recovery for end users, please refer to How end users can recover their own Microsoft 365 data through Microsoft OAuth Login.